Passengers of 18 years of age or over are allowed:
1. 400 cigarettes or 50 cigars or 500 grams of tobacco;
2. 3 bottles of alcoholic beverages;
3. up to 10 kg of medicines.
Passengers of 10 years of age and older can import goods up to a value of Cuban Peso-CUP 1,000.-.
Exempt of import duty payments:
- personal items;
- medicines, prosthesis and wheelchairs for the use of ill and disable persons, portable devices for medical tests;
- books, newspapers, printed matter, magazines and music compositions.
1. all kinds of seeds, fresh animal or vegetable products unless prior approval has been obtained from Ministry of Agriculture;
2. narcotics, drugs and psychotropic substances except those for personal use accompanied by medical prescription;
3. all kinds of hemoderivatives;
4. obscene and pornographic materials; printed matter directed against the public order and the morality of Cuba and its revolution;
5. household appliances.
Authorization from the Ministry of Interior of Cuba is required for import and export of explosives, firearms and ammunition.
Passengers who temporarily import articles with a value over USD 5,000.- in articles or cash must obtain a customs value declaration upon arrival in order to re-export such items or cash when departing.
Free export by tourists only:
- 200 cigarettes or 50 loose or unwrapped cigars; for export of more than 50 cigars, purchase receipt issued by an authorized store is required.
- 5 bottles of alcoholic beverages (for persons of 18 years or over. Receipts must be shown at customs);
- goods and souvenirs obtained in official stores up to the equivalent of USD 1,000.-. Any article or derivative from endangered species requires a permit from CITES.
Prohibited (unless holding authorization):
Philatelic and numismatic collections, objects of precious metals and stones, works of art and all articles of artistic, historical or cultural value, books printed before 1940, medicines.
Same regulations as for passengers apply.
Cats and dogs: must be accompanied by an official veterinary certificate, which must include the owner's details; animal details (species, sex, age, name, race and color); details of rabies vaccination, specifying type of vaccine, batch number and date of immunization; details of any other vaccinations and/or treatment for internal parasites. They must also be clinically inspected prior to shipment proving that the animal is disease free and has no external parasites or wounds. No prior authorization is required.
Baggage is cleared at the airport of the final destination within Cuba.
Exempt: baggage of transit passengers with a destination outside of Cuba.
No airport tax is levied on passengers upon embarkation at the airport.
Local currency (Cuban Peso-CUP) up to CUP 2,000.- in cash.
Foreign currencies: unlimited; amounts exceeding USD 5,000.- must be declared. Traveler's cheques in freely convertible currencies are accepted, except those issued by American Express.
Local currency (Cuban Peso-CUP): Up to CUP 2,000.- in cash.
Foreign currencies: up to USD 5,000.-. Amounts exceeding USD 5,000.- must be declared and accompanied by a permit granting the legal export of the referred amount.
Cuban Convertible Peso (CUC): prohibited
Local currency (Cuban Peso-CUP): Non-commercial sendings: prohibited.