Free import of:
1. Tobacco products (for passengers 20 years of age or older):
- 200 cigarettes;
- 50 cigars;
- 250 grammes of tobacco;
- 250 grammes of a combination thereof;
- An additional equal quantity of Japanese made tobacco articles, acquired duty free outside Japan, may be imported.
b. non-residents: twice the amounts in 1.a. above;
2. Alcohol (passengers 20 years or older): 3 bottles of alcoholic beverages (of about 0.750 litre each).
3. Perfume: 2 ounces.
4. Gifts and souvenirs: up to JPY 200,000.-.
1. Firearms and ammunition.
Import Allowed: hunting guns, air guns and swords, provided holding a permit issued by the National Public Safety Commission;
3. Obscene or inhuman films, materials, pictures, publications.
4. Counterfeit money.
5. All plants and vegetables with soil.
6. Most fresh fruits, vegetables, plants or parts of plants (vines, leaves, roots, etc.).
Import Allowed: (Phytosanitary certificate issued by the quarantine authority in the country of origin is generally required) for certain items listed below originating from:
- Hawaiian Islands: coconuts, orchids, papayas (only with Japanese quarantine certificate), pineapples, unripe bananas;
- Canada, New Zealand, USA: grapefruit, lemons, melons, oranges, orchids, seeds;
- Europe, Africa, Australia, Brazil: bulbs, coconuts, pineapples, seedlings (from Brazil prohibited), seeds, unripe bananas;
- Asia: coconuts, durians, orchids, pineapples, seeds, unripe bananas;
- All areas: cut flowers.
7. Raw meat and processed meat (such as ham, bacon and sausages).
- raw meat and processed meat (with health certificate) imported from: Australia, Belgium, Belize, Canada, Costa Rica, Denmark, Dominican Rep. Finland, France, Germany, Guatemala, Honduras, Iceland, Ireland (Rep.), Madagascar, Mexico, Netherlands, New Zealand, Nicaragua, Northern Ireland, Northern Mariana Isl., New Caledonia, Norway, Panama, Sweden, USA, Vanuatu;
- processed meat (with health certificate) imported from: Austria, Hungary, Montenegro, Poland, Romania, Serbia, Singapore, Switzerland, United Kingdom (Great Britain).
8. Eggs, bones, horns and other parts (without a health certificate) of the following animals: artiodactyla (cows, goats, sheep, etc.), bees, chickens, dogs, ducks, geese, horses, rabbits, turkeys.
Import Allowed: manufactured goods, such as buttons, fur coats, shoes, etc.
Firearms and ammunition prohibited.
Import Allowed: hunting guns, air guns and swords, provided holding a permit issued by the National Public Safety Commission.
Passengers sending baggage as cargo arriving by a later flight must make a prior written declaration reporting the time and place of their entry and the cargo's entry. Declaration after entry may not be accepted.
Free export (not for commercial purposes) of reasonable quantities of tobacco products, alcoholic beverages, perfume, gifts, and other articles. Articles purchased tax-free in Japan must be shown to the Customs at the airport/port of departure from Japan.
Dogs and Cats: the Animal Quarantine Bureau of Japan must be notified at least 40 days prior to arrival of pet in Japan, to obtain an "Approval of Inspection of Animals".
A pet must:
- Be fitted with a microchip (If not conforming to ISO Standard 11784 / 11785, a microchip reader must be provided);
- Have been kept, for the past 180 days, since birth or since bringing out of Japan, in the designated regions (see below), or regions with no case of rabies in the past two years;
- Show no clinical sign of rabies, (leptospirosis for dogs) immediately before departure.
Designated Regions: Australia, Fiji, Guam, Iceland, Hawaii and New Zealand.
For more information see the Japanese Animal Quarantine Service http://www.maff.go.jp/ .
Birds: A written notification of importation must be submitted after arrival to the quarantine station responsible for airport of entry. The notification form should be accompanied by the following:
- certificate issued by the government authorities of the exporting country or a certified copy thereof (a photocopy is not acceptable);
- identification of the consignee;
- copy of the airway bill concerning importation of the birds.
For more information see the Ministry of Health, Labour and Welfare http://www.mhlw.go.jp/.
Baggage is cleared at the first airport of entry in Japan.
1. Baggage of transit passengers with a destination outside of Japan, provided the onward flight is within 24 hours.
No airport tax is levied on passengers upon embarkation at the airport.
Local currency (Japanese Yen - JPY) and foreign currencies: unlimited.
Local currency (Japanese Yen - JPY) and foreign currencies: unlimited. Money exchange must be made at an authorised bank or money changer. Additional information:
Passenger must submit notice to customs authorities if importing or exporting cash/cheques/securities equivalent to JPY 1 million or more;
Currency exchange rate is followed by what Japanese customs publish in custom area;
Declaration forms are provided at custom area;
Gold with more than 90 percent in purity should be reported to the authorities if importing or exporting over 1 kilogram.